IRONMAN Boulder 2014

IRONMAN Boulder 2014
IRONMAN Boulder 2014 - Photo Courtesy of Nils Nilsen @N2PhotoServices
former professional couch potato and dorito eater with no fitness background to 2 x IRONMAN triathlete. blogging about all things training so you can be inspired to be active in your life! there's no 'can't' - just think of when you will take that first step!

Friday, July 31, 2015

IRONMAN BOULDER IS HERE!

It’s about that time…

IRONMAN Boulder will be here in just a couple days. Last year, I swore I would never do this event again after I practically died. I joked that it was so hot that I was slowly turning into an egg roll. But, after I found out a friend will be getting married the weekend of IRONMAN Wisconsin, which was the event I planned on doing because it logistically and financially made the most sense from Chicago, I had to pick a different event.

IRONMAN Boulder was my backup plan because I have an awesome bunch of friends from the #TriTeamForGood that live there, along with recent Chicago transplants. They generously offer up their homes, transportation to and from the airport, company when I need to stuff my face etc! Thanks to Molly and Andrea for helping make the travels possible; to Jennifer and Scott for providing the accommodations; and, to Khem and Adriana for being my airport transportation! I am really excited to spend time with my Boulder friends… honestly, it’s probably what I’m MOST excited about!

But, there is still a task at hand on Sunday and I am, frankly, really nervous. The dark cloud I had last year because of the swim is gone. So, that’s not the reason. I survived the brutal heat and should be better equipped this year. So, that’s out too. 

It’s because I trained better this year. 

My new coach, Bill Bishop of Bishop Racing, was originally just a recommendation of somebody to see for group pool swim time and private lessons. Long story short, he wasn’t a hard sell and made me WANT to buy more than just group swim time and a couple lessons. Heck, this guy doesn’t even brag about his successes in swimming, winning IRONMAN races etc. I’ll let you grill him some time because I bet I’ve already divulged too much for Señor Modesty!

HIs coaching style and calm demeanor ended up being a great match for me. He knew my training time limitations and whining tendencies - still, he assured me that I could conquer a 70.3 and 140.6 under his tutelage.

The first test was my 70.3 at Toughman Wisconsin in June, where my goal was to be sub-7 hours. I ended up finishing just over 5:45 because of a really great bike and a decent run. I was stunned that I actually did that and could hardly believe it was true. But, the clock doesn’t lie!

His workouts obviously worked that day!

And, I expect that the solid base of fitness I have built will certainly carry me through on Sunday. Yes, he gave me goal targets and he helped me think through a strategy…things I typically don’t like to do because I like to default to, “I wanna finish by 16:59:59 or just a second faster than my fastest time, which was my first in 2012 and was 15:48.”

The fact is that I can do so much better!


And, if I am smart, I can shave a good chunk off of my times. I have to be comfortable being uncomfortable, which is something I typically don’t like and play it very safe. But, I’ll for sure make an effort to add a little heat. It will certainly be a hot day and I am about 5,000 feet above Chicago AND it is an IRONMAN. 

So, anything can happen. 

But, if I am smart, particularly by executing my nutrition properly (especially with my Base Performance Salt!), I am optimistic! So, hopefully the nervousness is actually excitement!

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement. Special shout out to Bill Bishop for the awesome coaching this year and to my partner Anthony for his unwavering love and encouragement!

See ya on the other side!!!