IRONMAN Boulder 2014

IRONMAN Boulder 2014
IRONMAN Boulder 2014 - Photo Courtesy of Nils Nilsen @N2PhotoServices
former professional couch potato and dorito eater with no fitness background to 4 x IRONMAN triathlete. blogging so you can be inspired to be active in your life! there's no 'can't' - just think of when you will take that first step!

Monday, July 27, 2015

Did YOU #RockYourHealth?!?

Did YOU #RockYourHealth at the Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 5k, 10k or half marathon last weekend?!? I DID thanks to Humana!

The way I operate is by having goals. If I have an event on the calendar, I have a target towards which I am working. Every workout has purpose because I need to complete that event. And, not training only leads to misery and/or injury -- we don't have time for THAT!

My targets this year:
  • Toughman Wisconsin - 70.3 distance triathlon, June 2015
  • Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon - 13.1 mile run, July 2015
  • IRONMAN Boulder - 140.6 distance triathlon, August 2015
Doing the Rock 'n' Roll Chicago Half Marathon fell perfectly into my taper to IRONMAN Boulder. I rode about 60 miles the day before and it was the perfect, supported long run the next day. 

But, before I could get to race day, I had to be sure to hit the expo to pickup my packet with the family (they were doing the 10k!) and check out all the exhibitors and sponsors there, including Brooks and Humana. It was really special being at an expo with family because I got to answer so many questions for them that I had when I was new to running. I even helped guide my cousin through a gait analysis that Brooks was doing and helped her pick that perfect shoe based on that analysis!

On to race day... The family and I scored some sweet parking via ParkWhiz and were sure to meet up for a family shot before heading to our respective start lines. In my start area in Grant Park, there were "VIP Bathrooms" provided by Brooks!!! OOOOoooo AHHHhhhhhh... Air conditioned... No line... Nice toilet paper... Running water... Need I say  more?!? That was sweet!

Then, I ran into my friends doing the race and we chatted until it was time for our wave to go. Then, we were OFF! And, that's when I really noticed how humid it was that day. The air was definitely thick and stagnant within the city throughout the majority of the miles. Once we got closer to the lake, though, the air had dried out a bit and there was a nice, cool breeze coming off Lake Michigan

The course was great, had LOTS of spectators, and the aid stations were well stocked for the warm day. Oh, and we can't forget all the various musicians performing throughout. My favorites were the ones blasting techno house! 

It was a fun event to be a part of and I would highly recommend it for anyone to include as part of their training plan or to even race! ON TO IRONMAN Boulder this weekend!
This post is sponsored by FitFluential on behalf of Humana.