IRONMAN Boulder 2014

IRONMAN Boulder 2014
IRONMAN Boulder 2014 - Photo Courtesy of Nils Nilsen @N2PhotoServices
former professional couch potato and dorito eater with no fitness background to 4 x IRONMAN triathlete. blogging so you can be inspired to be active in your life! there's no 'can't' - just think of when you will take that first step!

Friday, May 29, 2015

Training SUCKS!

I bet you think that often, right?

THAT'S! FINE!

I am very "fat in the head" and feel like I'm just lazy. That's why I sign up for events. A good friend said that there are people that "train to race" and those that "race to train." And, I'm certainly the latter because events provide me with a good reason to be active. 

There's that definitive answer as to WHY I'm working out because that event is on the schedule! Then, from there, when I have a workout on the schedule and I'm just not feeling up to it, I think about the possibility of not finishing or missing cut-off times - especially when it comes to swims! (Being cut-off in a race is one of my biggest fears since it actually happened in 2013 after an IRONMAN swim.) THEN, once I'm doing a workout and it just SUCKS, I remind myself that it is more and more "hay in the barn" and I'm building strength.

So, when you hit a rut, feel stale, feel unmotivated, just don't wanna, training just SUCK etc, think about your why. 

  • Are you training for a specific reason? 
  • Are you fundraising to bring awareness to a cause close to your heart?
  • Do you want to finish your first 5k or first triathlon? 
  • If you just want to be faster or fall into that category of "train to race", have you thought about a bigger meaning beyond speedHave you thought about how much you've grown and CONTINUE to grow as you continue to just be active in your life?

I think we can all benefit from taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture and understanding why we do what we do in training and just life in general. It'll provide a fresh perspective and even help us re-prioritize things in our lives!