IRONMAN Boulder 2014

IRONMAN Boulder 2014
IRONMAN Boulder 2014 - Photo Courtesy of Nils Nilsen @N2PhotoServices
former professional couch potato and dorito eater with no fitness background to 2 x IRONMAN triathlete. blogging about all things training so you can be inspired to be active in your life! there's no 'can't' - just think of when you will take that first step!

Friday, October 31, 2014

SOMETHING BEATS NOTHING - Tips on Staying Active with Limited Time!

How not to be a permanent slob post IRONMAN...

We recently got Garmin Vivosmart fitness trackers for the team at The Running Institute. And, it has been enlightening!!! I'M BARELY ACTIVE WHEN I'M NOT TRAINING FOR AN EVENT!!! My steps could easily be just around 5000 for the day on a regular basis had we not started using these for some fun challenges. 


They say that you're suppose to take 10,000 steps a day to keep your weight. Yeah... I'm not averaging even that. I'm right around 8,000 ish I would say. But, what's nice is that the Vivosmart adjusts down your daily goal based on your recent activity if necessary. It sets you up for success and then challenges you once you've started to meet the goals more regularly. It's a really neat tracker! Oh, it tracks your sleep activity - at least how much you move which can be equated to quality apparently - and it's  waterproof up to 50 meters and it will even track cycling and running data using ANT+ connections to speed/cadence sensors and heart rate monitors. 

I'm glad that it works in the pool. Yesterday, for example, I had a few hundred steps left to meet my goal before we started the workout. Somewhere within the first third, I felt my arm buzzing and that's the notification that I'd met my goal for the day! #yay! Sure, it wasn't steps but I'd argue that the activity was more intense than steps, even at my SLOW pace en la agua!


In addition to taking the time to walk more by getting off a few stops early or getting on at a stop that's a farther walk away, my goal is to bring more strength work into my weeks during the off season. But, I had to be realistic about the amount of time I'm currently able to make - like I did with my IRONMAN training. Here enters the "7 Minute Workout" and "Bodyweight" workout apps for my phone. No equipment needed (for the most part) except your body and what you should have around the office or in your hotel room. 


I started last week by doing a few days of simple seven minute workouts just before having lunch at the office or after getting up late and squeezing it in before needing to get to a scheduled massage. Those are great for just doing SOMETHING! The only bad thing is that it's pretty much the same thing (at least the first few times) so it can be less than exciting knowing that you're not going to be doing anything new from the day before. That's where the Bodyweight app enters. 


I started following one of the workout plans yesterday and it was all upper body with a cycle of reps of 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 with rest between each rep equivalent to the time it took to complete the rep. You tap the screen after you're done with each rep and the app keeps count for you, like a stopwatch. You keep repeating that sequence for a set amount of time, like 7.5 minutes, until you meet the total goal and keep going past the goal if time isn't up. OR, you can end that particular muscle group and skip to the next exercise if you muscles are completely fatigued (as mine were because of not having done that type of work at such intensity in a LONG time) or you're just short on time and you want to get at least SOME - maybe 3.75 minutes? - in for the day. SOMETHING BEATS NOTHING! Oh, and this is all guided with a trainer telling you when to go, giving you a countdown, showing video of what the workout is suppose to look like AND there's a warmup and cool down... Loved the stretching I did as part of the cool down because I don't stretch enough and I know I need to be better about that!

So, there you have it! Tools to help you stay active and doing SOMETHING. That's the ultimate goal, right? Don't stress about not being able to get a workout in! Don't give up on the IDEA just because you think you won't get "enough time" in either!