IRONMAN Boulder 2014

IRONMAN Boulder 2014
IRONMAN Boulder 2014 - Photo Courtesy of Nils Nilsen @N2PhotoServices
former professional couch potato and dorito eater with no fitness background to 4 x IRONMAN triathlete. blogging so you can be inspired to be active in your life! there's no 'can't' - just think of when you will take that first step!

Friday, October 19, 2012

Live from Kona - Race Day

Live from Kona - Race Day  - Posted on CityFit.com on October 15, 2012

By Ken Chin

Wow, race day was officially awesome.

From almost throwing my phone into the water when the starting cannons went off, to watching the families of the champions react to what they were seeing on the Jumbotron to the fire dance and song that closed out the day – it was incredible.

If you’ve haven’t had the chance to watch a replay on TV (I have several locked and loaded ready for me on my DVR), I can’t begin to tell you how inspiring the last week has been in Kona.

Thanks to Timex Sports, my other social media buddies and I had VIP access so we could literally see all of the ins and outs of the Ironman Championship. And believe me, we took full advantage!

I was too excited to go take a nap and thought I could make it all the way until midnight without sipping coffee. At 7pm, I finally succumbed to Five Hour Energy that tied me over for the rest of the night. Honestly, I’m not sure I would have needed it when the athletes started crossing the finish line.

A few highlights from the day included watching Craig (Crowie) Alexander swimming to the start line and eyeing the competition; Andy Potts being redirected after taking a wrong turn around a buoy and still coming out of the water in first; being within two feet of Caroline Steffen, Mirinda Carfrae and Crowie and screaming my head off to cheer them on; watching the race unfold on the big screen at the finish line; watching the families’ of Pots and Leanda Cave react after they won the race; witnessing the finish of the champions; witnessing the age groupers finish and hearing their stories after the race; and finally watching the closing of the night with a fire dance and song.

It was a beautiful and memorable day. For photos and videos from the entire trip, check out myFacebook page.