IRONMAN Boulder 2014

IRONMAN Boulder 2014
IRONMAN Boulder 2014 - Photo Courtesy of Nils Nilsen @N2PhotoServices
former professional couch potato and dorito eater with no fitness background to 2 x IRONMAN triathlete. blogging about all things training so you can be inspired to be active in your life! there's no 'can't' - just think of when you will take that first step!

Friday, October 7, 2011

the chicago marathon is this sunday in case...

the chicago marathon is this sunday... in case you didn't know?? it's also known as #cm11 or @marathonchicago to many #runnerds.

many of my friends...yeah...those online/twitter friends...will be in town or are here already. so, i'm REALLY excited about that.

where are the mixed emotions?

this is the 1st year i haven't run chicago since 2007. am i jealous right at this VERY second. DUH! YEAH! of COURSE, i AM!

at the same time, though... i'm glad that i'm not because if i was, it would have meant my training (and whining to my coach during the process) in the this summer's awful heat! and, to be TOTALLY honest, my head still wasn't in a good place for training...

my coach called me mentally overtrained... the reality is that in 2007, i jumped in headfirst into running and barely came up for air. i let myself try to do that and it messed with my head immensely. i think i've found a good sense of stasis overall. however, i did find that i needed to sign up for a race (hence, this blog) in order to get back into my rhythm that i need!

ANYway...

the flip side is that i get to see a bunch of friends, motivate them, cheer them on, and celebrate with them! OH, AND i finally get to meet my coach, josh (aka @speedysasquatch). he's from NYC and i've never met him. yeah, it sounds weird... but, believe it or not, it's not all that uncommon! so, get over it! ;)

i also still have a key role this weekend by managing the start corrals of the race followed by hopefully witnessing the elite finish in person for the first time ever! ...and then i'll make my way down to mile 24 to cheer and then, hopefully, run at least 1 friend in. i'll be cheering with universal sole & nike while sporting my f^3 singlet and then hopefully @heathbar6 (aka heather w) will find and drag me in to push her a$$ to the finish line!

CHEERS RUNNERS! ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY ON SUNDAY...BUT...DON'T FORGET THE JOURNEY THAT GOT YOU TO THAT START LINE! =)